Monday, May 10, 2010

My Mom's Lasagna













Lasagna is a great comfort food and this is my modified version of the recipe my mom used to make for us when I was growing up. She used to make her own spaghetti sauce which I haven't learned to make yet so I used the jarred sauce, but it definitely brings me back to simpler days.

Ingredients:













1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 medium sized carton of cottage cheese
5-6 mushrooms, sliced
9-10 lasagna noodles (cooked or non-cooked variety)
8 oz mozzarella cheese

Method:













Brown hamburger in fry pan. Add onions and cook until soft. Add in sliced mushrooms and cook a few minutes more.












If you use traditional lasagna noodles you will want to cook them according to the directions on the box, but I used the no-cook variety to save me some time. Gather your meat/mushrooms sauce, noodles, cottage cheese, and mozzarella around your baking dish. This recipe makes a thick 9x11" pan or a thin 9x13" pan.












Lightly grease the pan. Lay down a layer of noodles to cover the bottom of the pan. Next spread a layer of the meat/mushroom sauce.












Dollop on tablespoons of cottage cheese and sprinkle about 1/4 of the cheese on the first layer.

Continue with a second and third layers as done before, but use up the rest of the mozzarella cheese on the top. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 F/180 C. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment