Thursday, November 19, 2009

Goulash














Another childhood favorite of mine and such an easy one to just through together. My husband and I differ in opinion on what should actually be included in a goulash, as I believe it's great to have veggies like carrots, corn, and celery, where he thinks they shouldn't be there. Since I'm the chef I make it they way I like it but I think I've got him converted because he said this was the best goulash I've ever made. Also we both have to agree that the best way to eat this kind of goulash is spooned up on a slice of well buttered bread. Trust us!!!














Ingredients:

Serves 4

1/2 lb hamburger
1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 - 1 cup sweet corn (depends on your taste)
2 cans finely chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp sugar

Method:














Brown hamburger then add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until veggies are slightly tender.














Add tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, celery salt, sugar and pepper and heat until bubbling.














Stir in uncooked pasta and cover for 15-20 minutes until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed.














Finally add in sweet corn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.














Serve up with some soft and well-buttered bread. We like to scoop some goulash up on the bread and eat it like a little open faced sandwich.


***Note: I found that dicing the vegetables to a finer consistency will give the goulash a smoother texture and make them less noticeable especially if you have a picky eater. If you all don't mind the vegetables cut them a little more coarsely. They do add a lot of the flavor in the dish and if you have other vegetables that you like don't be afraid to chuck them in the pan with it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment