Wednesday, August 31, 2011

German Red Cabbage















One of my most favorite things about visiting Germany is eating the food. It was one of the places that the food made Germany so fabulous (my husband would say the beer though). One unique side that I couldn't resist was the red cabbage. I was craving it so badly that I found a highly reviewed recipe online and made it. Now my kids weren't too fond of the smell that was sent through the house, but I loved it and I felt like I was back in Bavaria. It does take some time to cook, but so worth it. I served it with chicken schnitzel and fried potatoes for a perfect southern Germany meal.

Ingredients:















2 tablespoons butter
5 cups shredded red cabbage (approx. one small head)
1 cup sliced green apples
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup white sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Method:















Shred your cabbage.














Place butter, cabbage, apples, and sugar into a large pot. Pour in the vinegar and water, and season with salt, pepper, and clove.














Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover.















Simmer until the cabbage is tender - about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment