Monday, October 31, 2011

A "Boo"tiful Ghost Wall Decoration


A special treat for you all on Halloween Day...a Corrina Dea original design!  This is my "Boo"tiful Ghost wall decoration and it is adorning our laundry room door this year.

Materials:
3 - 4 1/2" squares of black felt
3 - 3 1/2" squares of orange felt
9x11" square white felt to cut out ghost and letters
remnants of black felt for ghost eyes and mouth
black embroidery floss
poly stuffing


How I Made It:


I cut out the black and orange squares of felt and laid them on a piece of drawing paper.  Then I designed the ghost poking out the sides.

Then I cut out the ghost pattern and allowed a 1/2" flap on the ghost to overlap behind the squares.  I also made it so that the ghost's hands would overlap on the outside of the squares.  I cut out two of each  of the three sections of the ghost so they could be sewn together, stuffed and attached to the squares.

I used a word processing software on the computer to pick out a font to add as word art for the pattern for the BOO letters.  I made the letters about 2 1/2" tall by 2" wide and cut them out of white felt.


Next I used a straight stitch to attach the letters to the orange squares and then then orange squares to the black squares.


On the front part of the ghost body I attached the eyes and mouth with black floss. Then I used the black floss to do a blanket stitch to sew the outside parts of the ghost. 


Before attaching each of the ghost sections, I stuffed them with a little poly fill to puff up the ghost.


For the little hand on the side I did a blanket stitch all the way around the front and attached it to the backing piece on the side so that it could pop out on the front of the squares.



Here are all my pieces prepped and ready to attached together.


I connected the squares together by sewing an "X"at the corners.


To attach the ghost pieces, I used a slip stitch along the back 1/2" overlap to the back of the squares.



Then continued the slip stitch to attach the front of the ghost pieces.



I let the little hands overlap in front to make it look like they were hugging the "Boo" squares.  I then attached two 1/2" x 2 1/2" strips of orange felt to create little hangers at the top.  


For fun I used a little stick from the yard as the holder and attached white yarn to each side and attached it to the upper part of the door to hang down.


No comments:

Post a Comment