Thursday, October 13, 2011

How to Make a Customized and Reusable Grocery List


I wanted the functionality of a checklist style grocery list but wanted one that had items on it that my family used on a regular basis and one I could reuse so I didn't have to waste a sheet of paper each week on my weekly grocery shop.  So I created my own customized and reusable grocery list on the computer and laminated it.  Here's how I put it all together:



1) I utilized Microsoft Word and created a document with 4 columns.

2) I listed out my grocery "categories." I tried organizing categories on my list in the order that I would walk through my favorite grocery store, but due to some spacing issues at the end I had to mix them up a little bit.  Here are the categories I came up with:
  • Bread
  • Fruit
  • Vegetables
  • Refrigerated
  • Canned/Jarred
  • Boxed/Bagged
  • Baking
  • Meat/Seafood
  • Frozen
  • Snacks
  • Condiments
  • Household
  • Toiletries
  • Other













3) Under each category I listed out all the items that I buy on a regular basis and put a square bullet in the front of it for a check box.  At the end of each category I made a blank line or two for extra items that I could write in.

4)  I printed it out on regular computer paper and then cut out two pieces of contact paper about 1/4" bigger than the sheet of paper to put on the front and back of the list.  If you don't have contact paper, you could easily insert your list in a plastic sheet cover - it will wipe off easy as well.



5) I post the list on my refrigerator next to my meal planning calendar.  I use a fine point dry erase marker to check off the items I need for my meal planning and during the week I can mark down items I run out of and need to restock.














6) Because the contact paper is quite pliable with a plain piece of paper I can easily fold it in thirds and take it along with me to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment