Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Give Thanks" Felt Banner



I love making things from felt and it's an inexpensive and fun material to make little banners to help get my house festive for the holidays.  I made this "Give Thanks" banner last year to dress up my fireplace in England and this year it looks great in my rental American house and next year it will look fabulous in my new house that we are building.  I do have to say that it is certainly nice to have little things like this that you can make and put up no matter where you live, so for that I'm thankful for this little project I took on.  Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Materials:

Dark brown felt
Gold felt
Orange felt
burnt sienna embroidery floss
2 yards of 1 1/2" wide coordinating ribbon


How I Made It:



I started out by using Word Art in a Word document to create chunky letters about 1 3/4" to 2" wide and high.  I cut out the letters to use for "GIVE THANKS."


I pinned the letters onto the orange felt.


Then cut the letters out with a small pair of scissors.


Next utilizing a rotary cutter (regular scissors work fine as well), I cut out ten 3"x3" squares out of the gold felt.  Then I cut out ten 4"x4" squares out of dark brown felt.


Then I used a burnt sienna embroidery floss about 4 strands thick and straight stitched the orange letters to the center of the golden felt squares.


Next I continued using the straight stitch to attach the golden squares onto the center of the dark brown squares. I laid out the squares evenly in the middle of the ribbon and attached the brown squares to the top edge of the ribbon with little a "x" in the corners of the brown squares.  Then I ended up with a good 18" on each side to tie up to small tacks underneath my fireplace mantle.  


*Note: You could make the ribbon 1 yard longer if you wanted to tie proper bows on the ends.

1 comment:

  1. Very Cute! I have a goal to make a Christmas one in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete