Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Layered Taco Dip














This is a crowd favorite where ever I go and it is one of my most favorite appetizers to use for almost any occasion - BBQ, holiday party, play dates, football game tailgates, and more. What I like most about it is that it looks as good as it tastes and it's so easy to make.


Ingredients:

10 oz sour cream
1/2 package cream cheese (softened)
12 oz jar of salsa (I like it hot)
1 bag of shredded taco or Mexican cheese or shredded your own favorite mild cheese
1 bunch of spring onions (chopped)
8-10 cherry tomatoes (diced)

Method:

Cream together sour cream and cream cheese and spread out evenly on a 12" serving plate.
Spoon on salsa for second layer. Next cover with a layer of shredded cheese. Top with green onion and cherry tomatoes.

You can serve it right away or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate a few hours before eating. Serve with a big bowl of tortilla chips.

Other variations:
  • Add taco seasoning to the sour cream/cream cheese mix.
  • Put down a layer of refried beans or guacamole instead of the sour cream/cream cheese

Notes for those in the UK:
  • Since the consistency of sour cream is different in the UK, I have found that you will need to use more cream cheese to make the first layer a little more stiff. Try using 50 mL of sour cream and 200 g of cream cheese to start and add more of what you need to make it a nice thick and creamy consistency.
  • Sainsbury's does carry a nice pre-shredded Mexican cheese, but I really like shredding up my own and Red Liecester is what I prefer to use.

1 comment:

  1. This is the BEST dip ever. I've started introduce it to Singapore. It's refreshing and appetizing.

    ReplyDelete