Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Thin Mints

I love the Girl Scout Thin Mints and I usually have a secret stash of them hidden away in my freezer for a rainy day. Living in the UK I don't get the cute little girls knocking on my door asking if I want to buy their wonderful little cookies, so I had to find a way to make them myself. My mother-in-law passed on a copy of the Insider's Recipes Master Edition which is full of recipes for things you can usually buy in the store or restaurant. I spotted the Thin Mints recipe and tried it out. I really think they were pretty darn close to tasting like the real thing. I've shared them with my British friends who have all heard about them from episodes of Friends they watch on the "tellie".















Ingredients:

1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
2 Eggs
2 Tbl. Water
2 Tbl. Cooking Oil
1/2 Cup Cocoa
1 pkg. Chocolate Chips
2−3 drops Wilton's Candy Mint Flavoring

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.













Combine cake mix, eggs, water, cooking oil, and cocoa. You will need to blend this together well, this will be a very sticky mess.













Let stand for 20 minutes, and then shape into very small 1/2 inch balls. Place these balls on a cookie sheet 2 inches a part, and smash down flat. You will need to spray a large spoon with cooking oil spray to make them flat. Bake for about 7-8 minutes. Let cool until they reach
room temperature.













Heat chocolate chips in either the microwave, or in a double boiler. When completely melted add a couple drops of the mint flavoring. Be carefull not to add too much, it is a powerfull flavoring.













You can either spread the melted chocolate on the cookies, or you can dip the cookies into the chocolate. Let the chocolate harden and store them in the refrigerator or freezer.

***Gift Giving Suggestion:
  • You could stack a roll of cookies together and wrap them up in waxed paper and secure the ends with pretty ribbon or twist ties.

No comments:

Post a Comment