Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanksgiving Grand Gobbler














Thanksgiving is one of the toughest holidays to go through while living in the UK because it is such a big holiday back in the US and it's all about Christmas already here during this time of year. With the lack of Thanksgiving decorations available to buy, I decided to make some of my own this year. This cute little gobbler is so easy and a great hand sewing project that anyone can make. Now that I've got mine made I hope to start making more for next year to give away as gifts to my British friends who we've involved with our new Thanksgiving traditions here.


FREE detailed instructions and a pattern are available at http://www.sewing.org/html/grand_gobbler.html

(Clicking on the above link will take you away from my site, so you will need to click back in your browser to come back)


How I Did It:













I cut out the pattern and purchased colors of felt I needed and embroidery floss. (In Peterborough, I used John Lewis and the City Markets haberdashery stall to find my supplies)













All of the pieces of the turkey use a blanket stitch to hold the two pieces of felt together. The tail pieces and body are both stuffed with fiberfill.













Here are all my pieces sewn and stuffed. I even did a tiny blanket stitch on the beak and wattle since I'm crazy about details.













I also thought it would be cute to add little feet so I cut out two pieces of dark brown felt to look like turkey feet and did a blanket stitch with orange.













You use a hot glue gun to attach all the pieces together. I didn't really care much for the buttons and tie that the pattern suggests so I left them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment