Saturday, December 5, 2009

Oreo Truffle Balls














Another new recipe for me this year and it's the only one so far that I misunderstood my recipe. I'm still sharing the recipe with you and a few pictures even though they didn't really turn out right. I didn't have a clear understanding before hand how many Oreo's there were in a "standard" US package of Oreos (oh the things we forget), so I ended up using only about half the number of cookies that I should have. The taste absolutely fabulous but they didn't form the most perfect balls because the dough was so sticky. I tried to salvage them a bit by sprinkling them with green sugar. If you want to see how they really should look check out Lana's Oreo Truffles. I'm not giving up though and will have these perfected some day!!!


Ingredients:
1 - 18 oz package of Oreos (56 Oreo cookies)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
white almond bark or chocolate for dipping
1/4 tsp peppermint flavoring - for minty truffles - opt

Method:














Crush Oreos until fine using a food processor or with a rolling pin in a plastic baggie.














Mix Oreo crumbs with cream cheese by hand until well blended. Roll into small balls and place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets. Place in refrigerator to chill for 1-2 hours.



















Chop almond bark in small pieces and melt over low heat in double boiler. Drop balls into melted almond bark or chocolate until coated. This must be done quickly so cookie balls don't melt. Place dipped balls on cookie sheet and chill in refrigerator.


***Note: For a minty flavored treat, add 1/4 tsp of peppermint flavoring to mixture or use mint Oreo cookies.

1 comment: