Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sparkling Pomegranate Punch














 Pomegranates are so fun and fairly plentiful in the fall so I wanted to use them to make my holiday party very special.  I was inspired by a recipe for a sparkling pomegranate drink in a Better Homes and Garden's magazine, but I wanted to make it more than just juice and sparkling wine.  Being me, I decided to combine two recipes I liked to make this sparkling punch that you can make alcoholic or non-alcoholic.  The ladies at my party raved over these and I actually had a friend highlight my new drink at her holiday Champagne Party, so you've got to try it for yourself!  Have fun popping the pomegranate pips in your mouth as you sip down the fruit juice. Cheers!

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh orange juice
1 quart pomegranate juice
2 cups chilled limeade
ice
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1 (750ml) bottle of champagne or sparkling wine or Sprite/Schwepps Lemonade/7-up
orange slices to garnish punch bowl (opt)

Method:

In punch bowl, mix pomegranate juice, orange juice, and limeade. Pour in champagne and float lime and orange slices on top along with some pomegranate seeds. Ladle into 12-ice filled glasses. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve.




















To de-seed a pomegranate:












Cut the top and bottoms off the pomegranate. Then make a slice down through the side skin from top to bottom and then again on the other side. Break open the pomegranate and then submerge it in a big bowl of cool water as you pop out the seeds. The pith will float to the top and the seeds will sink.

How to Make Homemade Limeade:
Make limeade by mixing 1 cup of limeade concentrate with 2 cups of water.

Limeade Concentrate:
1 cup lime juice
1 1/2 cup (300g) sugar
1 1/2 cup (360ml) water
Heat sugar and water in pan on the stove until sugar is dissolved. Add lime juice and remove from heat and allow to cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment