Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dressing up with Homemade Butterfly Wings















For my daughter's 4th birthday she wanted a butterfly party.  During the party the girls went through a process of being caterpillars, then got wrapped up in toilet paper to be cocoons, then they earned their butterfly wings.  These wings were so much fun for the girls to wear and so each and inexpensive to make.

I bought large sheets of colored heavy cardstock posterboard.  I made a template in the shape of butterfly wings with as span of about 13" tall and 15" wide.  Then traced them onto the poster board and cut them out.  After cutting out the wings, I used poster paint to decorate the wings with all different sorts of patterns and colors.





















Finally I poked four small holes in the middle in a rectangular shape and threaded through about 36" of colored elastic cording to make the arm straps so the girls could wear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment