Friday, October 9, 2009

Seafood Bake














I found this recipe in one of my sister-in-law's old Better Homes and Garden's cookbooks printed back in the 1970's. I wanted to try it out to see if it was still good for the 2000's. Pretty yummy. I decided to use fresher ingredients than using just the canned items and found that it would have been better if I would have cooked the mushrooms, shrimp and crab a bit before mixing them in with the sauce to reduce the amount of water in them. I also used imitation crab sticks since that is all I can buy in the UK, but I think it would be even better with the real stuff all flaked up. It got my husband's approval so has to be good.














Ingredients:

1 - 10 1/2 oz can of condensed cream of celery soup (or cream of chicken)
1/4 cup milk
1 beaten egg
1/ cup grated parmesan cheese
7 1/2 oz crabmeat, flaked
4 1/2 oz can shrimp, drained
3 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
3 Tbsp fine bread crumbs
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Method:

Combine cream of celery soup, milk, egg and half of the cheese in sauce pan. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is hot.














Stir in crab, shrimp, and mushrooms. Spoon into 4 large baking shells or a 1 quart baking dish.














Toss dry bread crumbs with remaining 2 T cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle over mixture in shells or baking dish. Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley and lemon slice.

***Note: I used fresh mushrooms and frozen shrimp and crabmeat instead of all canned ingredients. When using fresh items it would be best to cook them all ahead of time to get rid of excess water so your dish stays creamy instead of getting watery.

No comments:

Post a Comment